Your little one spends so much time sleeping that their sleep environment is very important. We’ll show you how to clean a crib mattress thoroughly and safely in order to keep it safe from bacteria and germs. Keep your baby healthy even while she sleeps with these tips:
- Remove the crib mattress cover and any bedding. These can typically be thrown in the laundry and safely washed with detergent.
- Check for a care label on the mattress, or look for instructions on the manufacturer's website. This will help you figure out if it's best to use cold or hot water, or regular or gentle detergents, on the mattress.
- Vacuum the crib mattress to get rid of dust or dirt. Make sure to vacuum the sides and bottom as well as any crevices. Use the proper attachment to make this process as thorough as possible.
- Scrub the mattress all over with warm water and a gentle detergent. Make sure you thoroughly wipe the detergent from the crib mattress to ensure that no residue is left behind.
- Spritz the mattress all over with a fabric refresher like Lysol® Fabric Mist. This will ensure that mold and bacteria don't have a chance to latch onto the damp mattress. The Disinfecting Spray will also help remove any residual odours.
- Dry the crib mattress completely. Press dry towels into the surface to wick away moisture, then let the crib mattress air-dry – in the sun, if possible, which has natural whitening properties. Make sure the mattress is totally dry before placing it back in the crib. Bacteria and mold love dampness, so protect your baby by ensuring that the crib mattress is fully dry.
Make up your baby's bed with bedding that fits the crib mattress snugly. Remove any extra blankets or stuffed animals before putting her to bed. Both you and your baby can rest easy now that you know how to clean a crib mattress!